EACA Member Meeting at The Randy. EACA members participated in our annual meeting at The Randy last week. With thanks to Shannon Scherer and Barbara McCue of Nth Degree for being our hosts, here are the meeting highlights:
- The EACA has begun work on the development of a Help Desk mobile app for all members. Any time a member has a business or project critical question they can reach out for timely and valuable information to our community that will help solve the problem.
- The EACA has a new initiative to develop and recruit new talent to supplement those among us that are approaching retirement. We will be reaching out to request support for those who can participate in events organized by SkillsUSA who have relationships with trade and technical schools to let them know about careers in the trade show industry.
- We recently compiled a Sales Tax Survey, Part 1 and Part 2 to inform our members on common practices and policies on the collection and disbursement of state-by-state sales tax requirements.
- And, finally we shared our 2019 EACA financial report which showed that the EACA is in very healthy financial condition. Increases in revenues were primarily the result of a significant increase in the numbers of EAC registration show clients this year.
Las Vegas I&D EAC Workers Will Be Required to Complete OSHA 10. Recently passed Nevada Senate Bill SP119 requires anyone working more than 15 days per year on trade shows in Las Vegas to become OSHA certified. The bill impacts all those who perform I&D, decorating and fork lift services. The 10 hour course (hence OSHA 10) can be taken online and the certification test is administered by state agency. The online training is free and the certification card costs $8.
In the alternative, journeymen and those on the Extra Board with Teamsters Local 631 can take the class at the Local 631 Training Center for free. All those in a supervisory capacity must take and pass the OSHA 30 certification. The monitoring of those who have completed the OSHA 10 and OSHA 30 will begin in January 2020 but the certification will not be required until January 1, 2021.
LVCVA Construction and Traffic Flow Update. Please note the following traffic Updates in regards to the Clark County Public Works – Karen Avenue Storm Drain project.
Karen Avenue at Joe Brown
* Lane shifts with single lane traffic in each direction
* Expect major delays during morning and evening rush hour traffic
Karen Avenue at Paradise
* Work between Paradise and Karen with single travel lanes
* Work progressing into Paradise to the Turnberry Drive
* Expect heavy delays during morning and evening rush hour traffic
* Expect multiple lane shifts from North to South sides the length of Karen
Karen Avenue at Maryland Parkway
* Expect heavy traffic delays at the intersection with lane shifts between Karen and Bruce
Please use extreme caution when traveling through these areas. Work will continue on Joe Brown between Karen and the Westgate entrance with lane shifts and restrictions through October. Allow yourself additional travel time for detour activity.
Upcoming EAC Registration Schedule The EACA has a busy schedule of EAC registration shows coming up this Spring and Summer. Here is the schedule for the next couple months:
- RSNA Dec. 1-6 Chicago, IL
- Winter Fancy Foods Jan. 19-21 San Francisco, CA
- Enterprise Connect Mar. 30-Apr 2 Orlando, Fl
EAC Member News
Sho-Link Names Jesse Amador as Atlants City Manager. Sho-Link Inc. has named Jesse Amador as Atlanta city manager. “We would like to welcome Jesse Amador as the new Sho-Link Atlanta City Manager,” says Jerry Regep, regional operations manager. “Jesse brings 12 years of tradeshow experience and will be a key contributor to Sho-Link’s success.”
AEG Facilities and SMG Complete Merger to Become ASM Global. <TSNN News> Venue management companies AEG Facilities and SMG have completed their merger to create ASM Global, a new, stand-alone global facility management and venue services company that now operates more than 300 arenas, stadiums, convention centers and performing arts centers across five continents. The completion of this transaction comes eight months after the companies announced the proposed merger. Onex, of which SMG is a portfolio company, and AEG’s subsidiary are now equal co-owners of ASM, according to ASM officials.
Headquartered in Los Angeles, with key operations based in the Philadelphia suburb of West Conshohocken, ASM has corporate offices in London and Manchester, England; Brisbane, Australia; and Sao Paulo.
Freeman Acquires Convention Data Services. <TSNN News> Freeman, a provider of live events and brand experiences, has acquired Convention Data Services (CDS), an event registration, business intelligence and lead management company. Combined with its acquisition of Info Salons in 2018, Freeman significantly has added to its global event registration and digital services offerings.
Boston To Sell Hynes. <TSNN News> The Boston Convention and Exhibition Center is getting ready to grow. On Sept. 19, the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority board of directors accepted a proposal announced by Governor Charlie Baker and Lt. Gov. Karyn Polito on Sept. 16 that includes expanding BCEC and selling Hynes Convention Center to fund the project.